Preparing to run your first half marathon? Don’t miss these tips to keep you safe and healthy as you are preparing to run your first half marathon.
When someone runs a half marathon, many people wonder if they have lost their mind. However, running a half marathon may not be the easiest thing in the world, but it is quite an accomplishment. I ran the 2016 and 2017 runDisney Princess Half Marathon and the 2017 Tinkerbell Half Marathon and lived to tell about it.
Will you be running a half marathon this year? These tips may come in handy!
3 Tips for Preparing to Run Your First Half Marathon
1. Have a plan and base in mind
Running your first half marathon? Don’t think you can go from not running to running a half marathon in a week. Keep in mind that running a half marathon takes TIME.
Don’t stress your body out by trying to learn how to run a marathon in a short period of time. You can start your training by already having a base of running X amount of hours per week. Some say that the minimum you should be running when training for a half marathon is 5 miles. A running plan can help you stay on track with your half marathon training.
2. Switch things up
If you run a lot, you know that every run you do won’t be perfect. You will have good runs and bad runs. The thing to keep in mind when you’re running is you need to focus on having quality runs as much as possible.
Don’t just “run” to get the run done. Run and practice for the half marathon by switching up your paces. Slow, fast, and race pace—switch up your runs with each practice. I would also recommend doing things like swimming, walking, or even biking from time to time during your training, to switch things up a little bit.
3. Take care of your body
I struggle with this one, but I know it is super important. Taking care of your body is essential when it comes to preparing for your first half.
Taking care of your body is so important. Drinking water, eating right, and stretching are all imperative parts of preparing for your first half marathon.
Products to Try While Preparing to Run Your First Half Marathon
One way I have been taking care of my body is with Mission Cooling products. Check out some of the products that they sent me! I’ve enjoyed using these products as I train for my future half marathons.
- Multi-Cool – This is the perfect tool for the half marathon trainers out there. You wet, wring and snap to keep you cool and comfortable as you train. Wicks away sweat from the skin while helping to defend against dust, debris, and wind. Can be worn 12 ways!
- Cooling Bucket Hat – This hat will be snug on your head and keep you so cool. It has been a lifesaver as I train or these half marathons.
- Mission EnduraCool Microfiber Cooling Towel – This towel can help you stay cool and refreshed during and after your run. Seriously, it is lightweight too, so you can carry it with you as you run.
- Reflective Cooling Headband – Stay cooler when you run by using this Reflective Cooling Headband. It drops to 30 degrees below average body temperatures when soaked with water, wrung out and snapped.
- Max Recovery Cooling Towel – I love this towel because it has the ability to help cool your body. You simply wet, wring, and you snap to activate the cooling technology.
Don’t forget to create your running playlist!
I’d love to hear what tools you use for preparing for your first half. Share your tips below!