Having a plan to start the day off right leads to a more productive day and makes the overwhelming parts of the day more manageable.
Being in the trenches of motherhood has taught me a lot about myself. I thought I was a patient person until I had kids. It has also helped me create systems to survive the day. I’m not one who is naturally inclined to routines and schedules, but they do make a world of difference in my sanity. Over the years I’ve learned through trial and error what works for us and how I can work smarter and not necessarily harder.
Maybe you find yourself in the same boat I did and still do some days. The night before you make a plan to accomplish your to-do list in the morning, but then you stay up too late, your alarm goes off, and all motivation goes out the window. Instead of knocking out your to-do list, you start the day behind, never catching up.
Don’t miss these five ways to start the day right.
Five Ways to Start the Day Off Right
1. Take some time and plan your meals for the next two weeks. Meal planning takes one of the big stressors out of the equation. No longer will you be standing, staring in the fridge and pantry, wondering what in the world you’re going to fix while your children are endlessly asking the dreaded question, “What’s for dinner?”. You’ll know! You will have a plan, and it will be marvelous.
Over the years, I’ve taken a lot of courses and tried a lot of different methods to see what works best for us. Amiyrah from 4 Hats and Frugal has the BEST meal planning course but it’s only available certain times a year.
2. Do not check social media first thing. I promise that the world will not end if you don’t catch up on the latest happenings on social media first thing in the morning. It’s okay to not check social media until 10 am or even (gasp!) noon. Your productivity will thank you! You might even find more time for play dates and get-togethers with your in real life community.
3. A great day begins the night before. Believe it or not, your bed will make a huge difference in how you wake up in the morning. If you toss and turn most of the night, wake up with a sore back or neck, or have a significant other who tosses and turns all night, chances are really good you are already starting the day behind. You aren’t getting the rest that you need for your body to repair it’s self while you sleep because you aren’t really sleeping. Believe me when I tell you this. Change your mattress. If money is an obstacle, start setting aside money now or make money to pay for the mattress.
4. Know what you are wearing the night before. Decision fatigue is real. The more decisions you can make the night before will take the stress off in the morning. You might even wake up in a better mood because you know you’re wearing that super cute outfit that makes you feel amazing!
5. Set the coffee maker to auto-brew. Because we all know coffee makes the world go round. Don’t like coffee? Buy a hot pot water kettle. Add water the night before so all you have to do is click the button in the morning. The more things you can do the night before, the better prepared you’ll be to tackle the day.
What do you do to start the day off on the right foot?