The newest attraction at Walt Disney World Resort that opened on May 27th has guests waking up ready to save the galaxy and grab a boarding group at 7 am.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is Disney’s first-ever reverse launch on any coaster, the only roller-coaster in EPCOT, the first Disney Omnicoaster, where vehicles make controlled rotations to always keep guests focused on the action. It’s also Walt Disney World’s first Marvel-themed attraction.
We were able to experience Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind during Disney Vacation Club previews and Annual Pass previews. We had all the experiences in our party of five. Two have vowed to never ride it again after the first preview. One wants to ride again but is also nervous about riding. The other two loved it and can’t wait to ride again.
The first time we rode, we were in the very back car, back row. It was awesome on the take-off, but I was a little queasy at the end. The second time we were in the first car, front row and it was AMAZING. I definitely prefer the first car and front row.
If you typically experience motion sickness of any kind, I recommend making sure you have a little something on your tummy, taking (affiliate links) Dramamine, or using a motion sickness wristband. I used to be able to ride all the rides. Now, not so much.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
Located in the park’s newly renamed World Discovery neighborhood, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the first “other-world” showcase pavilion at EPCOT. Xandarians traveled from their homeworld in the Andromeda Galaxy to Earth – or Terra, as they call it – to create the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, inviting EPCOT guests to learn more about their people and their advanced technologies. That is … until something goes wrong and the Xandarians call the Guardians of the Galaxy for help.
Where Does Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Take Place In The MCU Timeline?
While Walt Disney Imagineering says that the ride is placed after the events of the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, James Gunn did tweet that the ride is “in its own universe.”
Regardless of where it falls, you may want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy and The Eternals before you ride so you are familiar with the characters, but it’s not essential.
Who Are The Guardians of the Galaxy?
This group of intergalactic outlaws became unlikely heroes of Xandar when defending the planet from utter destruction. Now pardoned as thanks for their brave and selfless acts, the Guardians travel the galaxy in search of new missions.
- Star-Lord (a.k.a. Peter Quill) – Originally from Earth, the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy brings a snarky sense of humor as he protects the universe from any and all threats
- Drax – A brutally honest warrior with superior strength and combat skills (and very little regard for a metaphor), ready to destroy any enemies of the galaxy
- Gamora – Raised as a living weapon, she seeks redemption as a member of the Guardians, putting her extraordinary fighting abilities to good use
- Groot – The sentient tree-like creature known as a Flora colossus whose vocabulary is limited to “I” and “am” and “Groot” (exclusively in that order) branches out of his comfort zone to help the Guardians keep the universe safe
- Rocket – The genetically enhanced creature is the Guardians’ weapons and tactical expert, risking his hide to defend the cosmos one wisecrack at a time
Terms and People You Will Meet on Cosmic Rewind
Andromeda Galaxy – Spiral galaxy home to the Xandar system; galaxy nearest the Milky Way
Xandar – paradise-like planet in the Andromeda Galaxy home to a diverse, peace-loving population
Terra – Xandarian term for Earth, home to Terrans (residents of Earth)
Wonders of Xandar Pavilion – The first “other-world” showcase pavilion at EPCOT, where the people of Terra can learn more about Xandarians and their technologies, as well as the commonalities between the two cultures
Galaxarium – Sweeping planetarium-style space showcasing planets, stars, and other intergalactic wonders that connect Terra and Xandar
Worldmind – Xandarian supercomputer that narrates the Galaxarium; holds the collective knowledge, memory, and experience of all the Xandarian people
Xandar Gallery – Showcase of Xandarian people, culture, and history – including the heroes of Xandar – through specially crafted displays
“Good Morning Xandar” – Popular news program on Xandar, often featuring interviews with famous personalities
Phase Chamber – Xandarian teleportation room used to instantaneously transport people from Terra’s surface to an orbiting ship
Treasures of Xandar – Retail shop at the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, operated by The Broker
Jump Points – Artificial tunnels in space that allow for rapid travel between two different points separated by a vast distance
Cosmic Generator – Xandarian technology that creates jump points, linking distant points in space to one another
Nova Corps – Defense and peacekeeping force for Xandar and the Andromeda Galaxy
Nova Prime Irani Rael – Leader of the Nova Corps, charged with protecting the Xandarian people from threats while serving as an emissary of peace through understanding across the galaxy
Centurion Tal Marik – Commander of the Starcharter, leader of the Nova Corps peacekeeping efforts, and close advisor to Nova Prime (this is the character’s first appearance, as he was created for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind)
Starblaster – Nova Corps short-range patrol craft, notable for its eight pointy fins that look like a star; can connect with other Starblasters to form a physical barrier
Starcharter – Large Nova Corps cruiser
Starjumper – Small escape shuttle that launches from a Nova Corps Starcharter
M-Ship – Class of personal spacecraft owned by Peter Quill, serving as base of operations for the Guardians of the Galaxy
Celestial – A cosmic being of immense power whose size and scope defy human perception
Eson – A Celestial watching over Earth for eons, growing increasingly frustrated with the course of human history
I Am Groot – I am Groot
What Songs Play During Cosmic Rewind? Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind Music
There are 6 songs on the playlist for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind in Epcot at Walt Disney World Resort. On social media, Walt Disney Imagineering revealed that during the development of the Cosmic Rewind, they came up with a list of more than 100 potential songs for the Starjumpers’ onboard sound system.
The Cosmic Rewind ride team rode the attraction, again and again, to test how various tracks fit with the feel and thrill of the roller coaster. Their goal was to find songs with that perfect balance of energy, flow, and lyrics that gave a fun nod to the story of Cosmic Rewind.
Here is the “Awesome Mix” playlist for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, consisting of six songs in their classic versions:
- “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- “Disco Inferno” by The Trammps
- “Conga” by Gloria Estefan
- “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Tears for Fears
- “I Ran” by A Flock of Seagulls
- “One Way or Another” by Blondie
Guests won’t know which song they’ll hear each time they ride until they jump into space with the Guardians.
Have you ridden Cosmic Rewind? Which song did you get?
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Virtual Queue
Much like when Rise of the Resistance and Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure opened, Cosmic Rewind is also opening with a virtual queue.
Love it or hate it, it is what it is right now. As with most things, virtual queues are ever-changing.
You can join the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind virtual queue at 7 am or 1 pm via the My Disney Experience app. There’s also a 6 pm virtual queue entry time for eligible guests on days with Extended Evening Hours at EPCOT.
Is it Possible to By-Pass the Virtual Queue?
Yes! You can purchase a Lightning Lane pass for $17 (this price will fluctuate).
Do I Need to Be in The Park For The 1 PM Virtual Queue?
No, but you and your party must have tapped in before 1 PM to unlock the virtual queue. So it’s possible to leave for a mid-day nap or to leave EPCOT for lunch and still grab a 1 pm virtual queue.
How Do I Know When to Return?
Make sure you have push notifications turned on for the My Disney Experience app. You will receive an alert when your boarding group has been called.
Nervous you won’t receive a push notification? You can always check the “My Status” screen on the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind section of the app.
What Is The Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Top Speed?
It is estimated that the top speed for Guardians of the Galaxy is 40 mph.
Does Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind go upside down?
No, Cosmic Rewind does not go upside down. Although that would have been really cool.
What is the Cosmic Rewind Height Requirement?
With it being a family-friendly roller-coaster, guests 42 inches tall or taller can ride Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Fun Facts
- A Starblaster ship rests in a docking stand outside the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, the first full-size version of this Xandarian ship ever built.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the longest fully enclosed coaster in any Disney theme park and one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world.
- The attraction covers more than 200,000 square feet, with its main show building stretching longer than an American football field. This massive structure’s foundation contains more than 80 miles of rebar and 9,000-plus cubic yards of concrete. By volume, four Spaceship Earths would fit inside this show building.
- Academy Award® nominee Glenn Close reprises her role from “Guardians of the Galaxy” as Nova Prime Irani Rael, the leader of Xandar and commander of the Nova Corps.
- Disney Imagineers were on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” to film with the Guardians for this new attraction.
- Composer Tyler Bates from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films created more than two hours of new music for the attraction’s score.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind features more than 75 minutes of original content.
- I am Groot.
What other questions do you have about Cosmic Rewind? Let me know in the comments!