Looking for fun STEM activities for kids to keep them busy this Spring? Here are 42 STEM activities that your kids will love and want to do again and again.
While some of these activities are spring specific, many can be done all year round!
What is your favorite STEM activity?
What Are STEM Activities?
What exactly is STEM?
Maybe you’re like me and you had heard of STEM but didn’t know exactly what is was.
STEM stands for Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics. It goes beyond learning for tests and focuses on developing higher-level thinking skills by connecting learning concepts to the real world.
Spring STEM Activities for Kids
Here are 42 super fun activities to do with your kids this Spring! Affiliate shopping links and other resources have been linked below.
1. Test out the best paper airplane design
Here are some paper airplane designs to get you started!
2. Plant some flower seeds
Plant your favorite flower seeds in containers or in your garden.
3. Plant a vegetable garden
Either plant vegetable seeds in your garden, or purchase a kit, to show your kids how food grows.
4. Dry flowers
To air dry flowers you need string, a hanger, scissors, and the flowers you want to dry.
5. Press flowers
I loved pressing flowers when I was little. I used wax paper and heavy books. You can also buy pressed flower-making kits.
6. Make art with flowers
With the dried or pressed flowers you can make beautiful pressed flower art.
7. Go on a nature walk
One of our favorite ways to explore outside is to get outside and go on a nature walk.
8. Experiment with different ways to color eggs
Perfect for spring or just because, experiment with different ways to color eggs.
9. Create a pretend Easter party on a $30 budget
Plan a pretend get together and see how far your $30 will go!
10. Build a diorama of the water cycle
Hands on learning at its best. Create a water cycle model and see how the water cycle works.
11. Create your own umbrella
12. Collect rocks and compare weights
13. Create a suncatcher from tissue paper
14. Make a magnetic marble run
15. Make a chromatography butterfly craft with coffee filters and markers
16. Make sugar cookies and decorate them
17. Design a protective box for an egg and drop it to see if it cracks
18. Make a kaleidoscope
19. Make some bouncy balls from glue
20. Build a structure from marshmallows and toothpicks
21. Discover the life cycle of a butterfly and depict it on a paper plate
22. Make a rain stick
23. Sort a collection of pebbles into groups of ten
24. Find the volume of rainwater held in different containers
25. Look for geometric shapes in nature
26. Make a working battery out of a lemon and a circuit
27. Go cloud watching, draw the shapes you see
28. Learn about why fog forms
29. Rip a leaf down the middle, glue it on paper, and draw its symmetrical other side
30. Try out the dancing rice experiment
31. Create a rainbow from things found in nature and glue to canvas
32. Make an exploding volcano from baking soda and vinegar mixture
33. Build a light pattern box
34. Assemble a popsicle stick catapult
35. Weave together field grasses into a placemat
36. Make oobleck and paint a picture of spring with it
To make oobleck, mix 2 cups of cornstarch and 1 cup of water into a bowl. Mix the cornstarch and water until your oobleck is formed.
37. Design a shelter to protect an animal from the sun’s rays
38. Discover the most effective sunburn treatment techniques
39. Shake up some ice cream in a bag
40. Explore densities of different liquids in a transparent beaker
Explore densities of different liquids like corn syrup, dish soap, vegetable oil, water, and rubbing alcohol in a transparent beaker or graduated cylinder.
41. Explore friction of different objects by rolling them down slides at your local playground
Want to learn more about friction? Here are more experiments to help explore friction.
Tuesday 31st of January 2023
very informative article! great ideas!!
Saturday 28th of January 2023
Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our site. Keep up the great writing
Thursday 16th of September 2021
Thanks for sharing my YouTube video!