Memorial Day is all about honoring the men and women who’ve given their lives in defense of this great nation. It also typically marks the unofficial beginning of Summer with all its freedoms, BBQs and delicious fruits.
This recipe takes advantage of the beautiful berries that are finally ripening to make miniature strawberry pies topped with pastry stars. They’ll be the star of your dessert table!
This recipe is a little extra work because everything is made from scratch. Trust me though, it’s totally worth it. And once you’ve eaten from-scratch, all-butter pie crust with a homemade, slightly tangy strawberry filling you will never want to eat anything else.
The key to successful pie dough is to keep everything cold and not to overwork it. If things get too ‘melty’ pop it back in the fridge to cool down and less it more when it comes to kneading it together.
Patriotic Homemade Miniature Strawberry Pies
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of quality unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup iced water
- 1 large egg (for brushing)
- 1 star cookie cutter (for tops)
- Parchment paper
- 24 oz fresh strawberries
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
1. Sift flour into bowl and stir in sugar and salt.
2. Cut butter into ½ inch cubes.
3. Put butter into flour bowl and set into fridge to cool down for 10 minutes.
4. Cut butter through flour with your fingers or a pastry cutter (I use a bit of both) until you have worked the butter through the flour. Contrary to what you see in many recipes, you do not want a uniform sandy texture. The butter should be thoroughly cut through but the size can vary, being as large as a pea.
5. Create a well in the flour and butter mixture.
6. Take the iced water and pour into the well, slowly bringing the dough together until it is all moist (not wet). You’re not looking for a smooth texture, shaggy is fine.
7. Divide the dough and lightly knead until it is smoother and then press into a disk, wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
8. While the pastry rests, take the filling ingredients except cornstarch and cook over low heat until combined.
9. Dissolve cornstarch in a small amount of boiling water until dissolved.
10. Pour into strawberry mixture and stir thoroughly.
11. Allow to cook over low heat until the mixture begins to thicken.
12. Mash the strawberries until you have almost a preserve consistency.
13. Set filling aside.
14. Preheat oven to 375F.
15. Take the dough disks and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll the dough a little and then place another sheet of parchment paper on top. Roll out your dough until it is about ⅛ inch thick.
16. Use a cookie cutter to cut into disks and press into cupcake pan, with a small amount up at the edges of each cup.
17. Fill with strawberry filling to the top of each cup.
18. Roll out second disc of pastry and cut out stars.
19. Paint egg wash on the edges of the crush and press stars on with star points adhering to the crust.
20. Paint egg wash on stars.
21. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375F until the pastry is golden and the filling looks set.
22. Allow to cool in pan for ten minutes and then either serve immediately with whipped cream or allow to cool on a wire rack.
These can be made 1-2 days ahead.